Program Assistant, MARACOOS
Job no: 494608
Work type: Staff
Categories: Program/Project Management, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 27N
MARACOOS seeks a full-time Program Assistant to assist the Director of Engagement & External Affairs with administration and communications for MARACOOS and provide administrative support to the Executive Director of the IOOS Association. The ideal candidate is someone with an interest in coastal and ocean science and information with strong communications and organizational skills, an ability to work independently and with diverse people, and a willingness to perform the range of tasks necessary to make an organization operate smoothly and efficiently.
MARACOOS is a 501(c)3 regional association of partners that collect ocean and coastal data with the purpose to turn those data into information products that support jobs, the economy, safety and well being for the more than 78 million people living, working and recreating in and around the Mid-Atlantic region. With its headquarters located in Newark, DE and operating under the umbrella of the Delaware Environmental Institute at the University of Delaware, MARACOOS’ mission is “to power regional understanding and prediction of ocean and coastal systems in the Mid-Atlantic,” providing government-certified data and information products to advance a strong economy, health, and prosperity in the Mid-Atlantic. MARACOOS is one of eleven regional associations that make up the non-federal component of the U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS).
The IOOS Association:
The IOOS Association is a small non-profit organization that works with the eleven Regional Associations (RAs) that operate coastal observing systems as part of the Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS). Created by Congress in 2009, IOOS is a Federal-regional partnership that includes a system of federally operated assets and a network of regional observing systems that complement and enhance the federal program. NOAA is the lead agency for IOOS, coordinating the national and regional efforts. The IOOS Association operates as a quasi-trade association and works with the regions to address issues of mutual concerns and communicate the successes and opportunities of working regionally with Federal agencies and others in Washington, D.C. For more information, see http://www.ioosassociation.organd www.ioos.noaa.gov.
The Program Assistant will split his/her duties between MARACOOS and the IOOS Association, roughly 50/50, providing project and programmatic support, including internal and external communications, administrative assistance and specialized support to a variety of external members, partners and management personnel. The position will report to the Director of Engagement & External Affairs of MARACOOS, and the IOOS Association Executive Director (for IOOS Association business). Work will include assisting in all aspects of operating and maintaining small non-profit organizations with a primary responsibility for administration, outreach and communications.
- Assist with fiscal responsibilities for multi-agency external funding including credit card allocations, budget preparation and monitoring program expenditures.
- Assist in developing and scheduling program events in accordance with specifications and funding limitations.
- Assist with coordinating off-campus events including logistics, scheduling, and participant communications.
- Assist in developing and disseminating communication materials including articles, brochures, and newsletter content. Assist in maintaining online presence including website and social media.
- Maintain stakeholder database and up-to-date contact lists.
- Support the activities of MARACOOS staff and Board.
- Serve as office manager and receptionist for MARACOOS office suite including supply ordering and coordination with building management company.
Communications and Outreach
- Assist with developing compelling outreach material for the organization including newsletters, flyers, social media content and web stories.
- Ensure that stories are posted regularly and that important resource documents and other information are easily accessible and up to date.
- Assist with developing the IOOS Association quarterly e-newsletters, flyers and other outreach material.
- This includes developing engaging content that is understandable to a lay audience and demonstrates how IOOS is making a difference.
- This will include soliciting stories from the RAs and other sources, graphic layout and design and distribution that adheres to IOOS
- Associations branding design guidelines.
- Assist with creating, maintaining, and managing the Associations online presence, including website and social media.
- Includes gathering and analyzing online metrics.
- Organizes monthly conference calls with the regional outreach coordinators and the Program Office to discuss issues of mutual interest as part of the Outreach Committee.
- Working with the Outreach Committee Chairs to prepare agendas, keep records and oversee follow-up actions.
Organizational Support and Board Management
- Assist the Director with planning and staffing Board and its Committees, meeting logistics, assist in preparing briefing materials, agendas, minutes and other record keeping.
- Provide staffing for two in-person meetings each year including logistics coordination, working with Steering Committee on agendas, organizing briefing materials, tracking participants, record keeping and other activities related to organizing an effective meeting.
- Programmatic Support Ensure that all policies are up-to-date.
- Ensure legal and financial / progress reports are submitted.
- Maintain up-to-date contact lists.
- Maintain record keeping, including legal records such as organizational policies, by-laws, employee handbook, evaluations, timesheets, 501c3 documents, electronic contact lists and organization of shared drives.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED and three years of administrative work experience.
- Ability to think strategically and be highly self-motivated.
- Knowledge of formal and informal educational best practices preferred.
- Effective communications skills including writing and presentation.
- Experience or willingness to learn software for posting content on web and distributing newsletters such as Constant Contact, DropBox, Microsoft, Adobe products preferably InDesign, social media outlets, and familiarity with Drupal content management software.
- Understanding and interest in ocean, coastal and Great Lakes science, technology and information and knowledge of University policies and procedures preferred.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data, make independent decisions and judgments in keeping with the level of the position. Experience with management of contracts and grants.
- Familiarity with UD accounting system, PeopleSoft financials, UD grant policies and procedures preferred. Ability to prepare reports using reporting and analysis tools such as PeopleSoft Query, UData, and Cognos preferred.
- Broad knowledge of University systems, policies and procedures as well as applicable federal and state regulations preferred.
- Advanced skills in MS Excel and MS Word. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills. bility to make independent decisions and judgments.
- Attention to detail, high level of accuracy, ability to multi-task and exceptional follow-through on tasks. Strong customer services skills.
- Ability to communicate and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend