Research Development Director, Research Office
Job no: 494495
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 34E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Research Development Office partners with faculty and University leadership to develop multi-year federal funding, collaboration, and growth plans for complex research initiatives. The team provides customized support services catered to the development of new research initiatives – from establishing key success variables for launching multidisciplinary programs to creating diversified and sustainable funding portfolios.
Under limited direction from the Associate Vice President, Research Development (AVP RDO), the Research Development Director undertakes a variety of duties to provide direct support to faculty, Institute Directors, and staff as they pursue funding in support of research, teaching and service projects. The Research Development Director will help UD faculty, administrators, and staff develop competitive external grant proposals, including those submitted to the National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, Department of Energy, Department of Education, USDA, Department of Defense, National Endowment for the Arts, other federal and state agencies, foundations, industry and other funding sources to support faculty from a wide range of disciplines.
The primary role of the Director is to support faculty in preparing, coordinating and project management of medium to largescale, complex federal proposals to capture major awards and which might involve other education, research, and corporate entities. Specifically, the Director will work closely with faculty to increase sponsored funding by providing strategic services to support the programmatic development of research, the creation of consortium, federal engagement, the provision of research training, and the support of inter-institutional federal proposals.
- Identify key funding opportunities that mesh well with targeted areas for development at UD.
- Assist faculty in generating effective extramural proposals.
- Provide detailed grant proposal development assistance including project management through all stages of proposal conceptual development and refinement.
- Design, conduct and participate in grant development workshops and other interventions with faculty.
- Collaborate with personnel in the Research Office and other departments to develop and execute plans to meet campus research and funding needs.
- Develop and maintain a detailed knowledge of UD’s faculty research interests and strengths.
- Create and oversee innovative programs of faculty development for their scholarly endeavors.
- Cultivate knowledge of ongoing, targeted, and emerging programs and projects and support administrative and faculty efforts to enhance competitiveness for external funding across the disciplines.
- Coordinate program development efforts with counterparts in the divisions, schools, and national labs, and advise faculty on strategic approaches to develop research initiatives and large, complex proposals. Work closely with faculty in building strategic alliances and effective teams.
- Track faculty research/scholarly interests and readiness to develop a catalog of potential projects well-positioned to pursue grant funding.
- Monitor and report on federal and private priorities and programs to inform discussions regarding strategic partnerships, projects, and programs.
- Identify funding opportunities and sponsors that align with institutional capabilities.
- Build productive relationships with individuals and organizations whose expertise and interests align with institutional or national need and with whom collaboration enhances research competitiveness.
- Building and management project management teams and coordinating their timely workflow.
- Connect project directors and teams with institutional resources available to facilitate successful project implementation and start-up.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties and special projects as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree with eight years of progressively responsible job-related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in writing successfully funded grant proposals in own discipline is preferred.
- Experience in research program development or capture management position at a research-intensive university and/or research organizations such as National Labs preferred.
- Experience of the funding mechanisms and opportunities at one or more agencies listed here NIH, NSF, Dept. of Education, USDA, Dept of Energy, and Dept. of Defense.
- Experience with funding mechanisms and proposal development that straddles industry and academia, as well as foundations.
- Involvement in relevant national professional organizations, such as National Organization of Research Development Professionals (NORDP).
- Project management, federal proposal and team management experience.
- Ability to work with faculty members from a wide variety of academic disciplines in a supportive environment that promotes high-quality research and the development of sophisticated funding proposals.
- Ability to work with other grant writers and consultants and, coordinate and manage color reviews.
- Ability to work independently, set appropriate work priorities, and require minimal supervision over regular work activities.
- Strong communication skills, independent judgment, and the ability to work effectively with diverse populations and consensus-building skills.
- Strong time management and organizational skills and the ability to balance multiple priorities under deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A high degree of discretion, tact and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Experience working with university research administration, including sponsored research services offices.
- Ability to understand and identify the needs of faculty and translate those needs into programmatic solutions. Demonstrated capacity, skill, and willingness to engage with faculty and contribute to success in research collaboration and equity.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend