Communications Specialist II, Development and Alumni Relations
Job no: 500341
College / VP Area: Development & Alumni Rel
Work type: Staff
Categories: Development & Alumni Relations, Full Time
Pay Grade: 30E
Context of the Job:
Under the supervision of the Director of Content Strategy, the Communications Specialist is a highly skilled writer responsible for producing communication pieces for both internal and external audiences to support major gift development, direct solicitations, alumni relations strategies, presidential fundraising strategies and more with a primary goal of increasing donor giving at the University of Delaware.
- Manages presidential correspondence for DAR by writing, routing and partnering on highly personalized acknowledgement and follow-up letters, congratulatory and condolence letters, letters for publications, remarks for events and more.
- Initiates, prepares and writes development and alumni relations content including solicitation and engagement emails, articles, website pages, features and commentaries on donors and alumni.
- Develops proposals, reports, invitations, presentations and other print and web-based materials to assist major gift officers in fundraising from individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Project manages, writes and edits communications for the University's fundraising priorities with the goal of increasing Campaign awareness and highlighting successes.
- Provides copywriting for fundraising and engagement marketing campaigns focused on encouraging constituents to give, attend events and keep their contact information up to date.
- Serves as a writer and project manager for stewardship-based communications to high level donors and prospects.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, communications or a related discipline and four years of relevant work experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong writing skills and demonstrated experience in development and alumni relations communications related to fundraising and philanthropy in an educational setting.
- Requires creativity, strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to effectively illustrate impact, express gratitude and encourage giving through the written word.
- Ability to work effectively with a team as well as independently and to be proactive in seeking solutions to challenges or opportunities.
- Knowledge of University of Delaware academic programs is a plus.
- Demonstrated understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated, and equity is a core value.
- Works occasional evenings and weekends for special events.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend