Chair, Department of Art and Design
Job no: 499627
College / VP Area: College of Arts & Sciences
Work type: Faculty
Categories: Art & Design, Full Time
CHAIR OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ART & DESIGN IN THE COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES, UNIVERSITY OF DELAWARE
The Department of Art & Design at the University of Delaware seeks an inspiring and visionary leader for the position of Chair. The Chair of the Department will collaborate with faculty, the Associate Dean for the Arts, and the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences to create and implement an innovative vision and strategy that will expand the Department of Art & Design’s regional, national, and international reputation. The Department of Art & Design celebrates and supports a diverse and inclusive community of excellence in all people. We actively encourage women, people with disabilities, and members of underrepresented groups to apply.
The Chair of the Department of Art & Design will lead a department with three undergraduate degree programs: BA-Art, BFA-Fine Arts, and BFA-Visual Communications and the graduate program with the MFA in Fine Arts. Located in a fertile geographic region with proximity to major Northeast cultural centers, the Department of Art & Design at the University of Delaware is uniquely positioned for continued growth. An integral part of a Research I institution with a liberal arts core, the Department of Art & Design’s distinguished faculty engage in nationally and internationally recognized research and with partnerships across the university and beyond. Notably, the Department of Art & Design’s undergraduate and graduate students participate in research with faculty on a regular basis. As part of the university’s Carnegie classified Community Engagement Initiative, the Department of Art & Design is committed to fostering a high level of service-learning and community engagement among students and faculty.
The Chair of the Department of Art & Design at the University of Delaware will be expected to:
- provide vision and dynamic leadership for advancing the toward greater national and international prominence.
- advocate on behalf of the Department of Art and Design with University administration, trustees, donors, alumni, the professional art and design community, and the public.
- foster a spirit of creativity and innovation in teaching, scholarly/creative activity, and service among a diverse and high-quality faculty while recruiting, retaining, and developing new faculty.
- Strengthen the Department of Art and Design’s programs and reputation through effective budgeting and fundraising in collaboration with the university development office.
- collaborate with faculty in the creation, development, and promotion of innovative curricula that meet the needs of the 21st-century student.
- work with faculty and staff to create efficient structures and systems of management and administration within the Department of Art and Design.
- foster an environment that values shared governance and promotes diversity, access, equity, and inclusion. Strengthen existing collaborations and establish new partnerships with professional, industry, and arts organizations regionally, nationally, and internationally.
The Chair of the Department of Art and Design at the University of Delaware will have:
- transformative, positive, and inspiring leadership style with the capacity for visionary and innovative academic and artistic leadership.
- demonstrated successful leadership experience within an academic unit including an ability to lead effectively through listening, consensus building, collaboration, and shared governance.
- an ability to recruit, empower, and advocate effectively for faculty, staff, and students.
- proven commitment to diversity, access, equity, and inclusion.
- collaborative experience in community engagement through relationship building and partnerships with diverse constituencies.
- experience with budgeting and finance.
- experience with fundraising and development.
- demonstrated ability to work effectively and cooperatively with College and University administration.
- a terminal degree, (e.g., PhD or MFA), in one of the Department’s disciplines or a closely related field along with a distinguished record of professional accomplishment that merits an appointment at the rank of Professor with tenure.
The position is a tenured appointment at the rank of Professor, commencing August 16, 2023. The Chair will report to the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Delaware offers exceptional educational experiences including integrated instruction, research, and public engagement. With 23 academic departments and more than 25 centers, programs and institutes, the College serves more than 6,000 undergraduate students and 2,000 graduate students with CAS majors, but also every single University student through fundamental course work. The College’s 600 faculty members emphasize the enduring value of an arts and science education and share a deep commitment to excellence in scholarship and all forms of creative and intellectual expression. The College has departments in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences, and features outstanding research and teaching facilities. Faculty and staff encourage and support innovative interdisciplinary collaborations and students engage local, national, and global audiences through research and creative activity. With annual research expenditures of approximately $35 million, the College currently houses several large, interdisciplinary grants with significant funding from the NIH and NSF.
The University of Delaware (www.udel.edu) Is one of the nation’s oldest institutions of higher education, combining tradition and innovation. The university recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the experience of its employees and in supporting its academic mission. We are committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds, and we strongly encourage applications from educators from under-represented groups. UD provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
TO APPLY: Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled. The Department of Art & Design celebrates and supports excellence in all people and is proud for its focus on building the most inclusive and diverse community possible. We actively encourage women, people with disabilities, and members of underrepresented groups to apply.
Applicants should upload a (a) letter of application that includes a detailed and supported explanation of how the candidate meets the qualifications for this position; (b) current curriculum vitae; and (c) list of five professional references with contact information. (Letters of recommendation are not required at this time.)
For inquiries about the position, please contact Huantian Cao, email@example.com
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Compensation packages are highly competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications. The UD benefits package is one of the best in the nation.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend