Assistant to the Director, Data Science Institute
Job no: 499045
College / VP Area: Research Office
Work type: Staff
Categories: Administrative Support, Full Time, Program/Project Management
PAY GRADE: 29E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Data Science Institute (DSI) is a newly established institute at the University of Delaware to accelerate research in data science. Serving as a hub for interdisciplinary research, collaboration and excellence, the Institute brings together faculty and students from seven colleges across campus to work effectively with big data and address problems and opportunities facing society—from health sciences, physical sciences, environmental sciences, to behavioral and social sciences and public policy. The Institute will further involve partnerships with industry and other institutions in the region. DSI staff will be committed to being proactive in solving problems, serving the needs of the faculty and research groups that rely on DSI, and performing all duties efficiently, with careful attention to detail, and with priority on issues that support the Institute's mission and the team.
Under limited supervision, the Assistant to the Director will perform complex administrative duties and provide the most efficient and effective administrative support and service to DSI. He/she also ensures compliance with internal and external administrative policies and procedures as well as prioritizes and resolves administrative issues. A high level of independent judgment, initiative, and problem-solving skills are required.
• Serve as the first point of contact for DSI, interacting with a diverse audience, including University of Delaware faculty, staff and students, academic and industrial partners, guests to DSI, and other constituents in the. internationally.
• Provide administrative support to the Director, other members of the leadership team, and Institute staff as needed.
• Perform routine and non-routine administrative duties as assigned, ensuring confidentiality, and complying with established deadlines and work standards. Oversees the day-to-day operations of the Data Science Institute and performs a broad range of administrative details of highly complex and confidential nature on a regular basis.
• Review, interpret, recommend and implement University policies to ensure effective administration within the Institute; identifies and resolves issues regarding administrative matters. Develops and maintains administrative and office management systems, implements new strategies and procedures.
• Support institutional grant applications by collecting, compiling, and editing required documents. Participate in pre-submission meetings to facilitate and coordinate proposal timelines and provide document templates as needed.
• Ability to work under limited supervision, obtain necessary information from appropriate source(s) to complete assigned tasks, and share information with others as needed.
• Prioritize, arrange, and coordinate Director's meetings with leaders in the academic, public, private, and government sectors. Develop and prepare presentations and meeting information. Attend meetings when the Director has a schedule conflict.
• Assist with planning and coordinating events, seminars, workshops, and meetings hosted/co-hosted by DSI. This includes scheduling the facilities, making travel arrangements, and managing registration for events. event logistics including menus and technical requirements, sending out invitations and tracking RSVPs, determining staffing needs, coordinating with guest speakers, honorees and special guests, providing on-site supervision, and processing honorariums and reimbursements.
• Manage existing websites, including participation in the development of website content and perform routine social media and website updates, including event/training registrations and calendar updates. Manages the Director’s and senior staff calendars, evaluates appointment requests, and directs to appropriate offices. Responds to situations that require a high degree of sensitivity and confidentiality on matters affecting the Data Science Institute, and research programs under the umbrella of the Institute.
• Maintain and secure a variety of files and data, including mailing and e-mail distribution lists, constituent contacts, event details, inventory information, etc.
• Maintain schedules and prioritize use of conference rooms. Maintain current knowledge of the A/V technology and effectively instruct participants on use to include Microsoft Teams and ZOOM.
• Processes Web Forms, e.g., journal vouchers (JVs), procurement requisitions, reimbursements, honorariums, and other required administrative documents and forms for the unit.
• Assist with various administrative responsibilities in support of the operation of the Institute including but are not limited to maintain office supplies and key inventories; complete, process and maintain paperwork for purchasing (e.g., orders, requisitions, and invoices); maintain time and attendance; reconcile accounts; take and distribute meeting minutes; and develop new office forms and procedures.
• Compose routine and non-routine letters, memos, presentations and other correspondence, reports and documents for the Director. Collaborate with the Director and senior staff on internal and external requests for information, research necessary data, and compose drafts and documents prior to submitting for review and approval.
• Coordinate and attend various sessions and institutional meetings. Develop agendas, organize guest presentations and attendance, develop accurate meeting minutes, and follow up on action required.
• Receive and screen incoming calls, correspondence, forms, and assist walk-ins.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree in Business or related field with three years’ related experience, or a combination of education and/or experience.
• Experience supporting a senior executive.
• Ability to represent the Institute to a wide variety of personnel in an effective and professional manner.
• Ability to analyze and interpret data and make independent decisions, plan, assign and evaluate the work of others.
• Ability to use advanced word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation and financial/budget management software; and ability to learn new software features as technologies evolve.
• Ability to accurately interpret and apply institutional, state, and federal policies related to fiscal and personnel record management.
• Ability to be flexible, work independently, have high accountability for a large volume of work, and handle multiple assignments concurrently.
• Ability to show initiative and to demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality and discretion and problem-solving strongly preferred.
• Effective oral and written communication skills, organizational skills, and interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Advanced knowledge of the principles and practices of office management and general administration.
• Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures, and backgrounds.
• Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend