Administrative Assistant II, School of Marine Science and Policy
Job no: 498867
College / VP Area: College of Earth & Ocean Envir
Work type: Staff
Categories: Administrative Support, Full Time
Pay Grade: 26N
Context of the Job:
Under the general supervision of the Business Administrator, the incumbent performs complex administrative duties for the School of Marine Science and Policy (SMSP). The principal emphasis is on general administration and office management as well as providing the most efficient and effective administrative support and customer service to facilitate research and educational functions in the School and College. Ensures compliance with internal and external administrative policies and procedures as well as prioritizes and resolves administrative issues. A high level of independent judgment, initiative and problem-solving skills, and the ability to demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality and discretion are required.
- Provides administrative support to the faculty, students and programs of SMSP. Performs routine and non-routine administrative tasks as assigned and directed by the Business Administrator, complying with established deadlines and work standards; listens effectively and obtains necessary information from appropriate source(s) to complete assigned tasks and shares information with others as needed. Schedules appointments, meetings, conferences, lectures, etc.;
- Assists with SMSP faculty invitational series both in Newark and in Lewes as needed.
- Assists with arrangements for faculty, staff, students and visitors. Coordinate and process travel awards for graduate students.
- Manages the issuance and returning of keys from faculty, staff and students for Robinson Hall.
- Assists in preparation of course scheduling, registration, application processing, class lists, rosters and/or grade reports.
- Organizes faculty searches, workshops, seminars and student visits for the School.
- Assists with the recruiting/application process, scheduling interviews, making travel arrangements for potential students, completing travel reimbursements, etc.
- Supports assigned faculty, research staff and students with ProCard (purchasing credit cards) administration in Concur. Ensures back up documentation is properly filed and available for audit or grant close out reporting.
- Provides UD Exchange support for assigned faculty, research staff and students.
- Processes Web Forms e.g., journal vouchers (JVs), procurement requisitions, cash transmittals, Personnel Information Forms (PIFs) and other required administrative documents and forms for the unit.
- Proactively requests or purchases items required for new faculty/staff. e.g., workspace, computer, phone, supplies, etc., ensuring the individual has the required tools to do their job on the first day of employment.
- Maintains inventory and purchases office supplies, furniture, and equipment for unit.
- Handles basic maintenance of standard office equipment and submitting facilities requests for the unit.
- Assists with coordination of REU Marine Science Internship program and processes student stipends.
- Provides backup support to the Director’s suite with any duties that the Director may require.
- Establishes and organizes records maintenance and office filing systems including confidential personnel documents e.g., faculty, research staff and student files; works with the Business Office in archiving files.
- Maintain electronic calendar for ITV classrooms, conference rooms, etc. and handles room reservations.
- Attends staff meetings and actively participates by making recommendations regarding new administrative policies and procedures or changes and improvements to existing processes. Develops and/or initiates new office forms and procedures.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED and two years related experience.
- Experience working in an academic or non-profit environment is desirable.
- Extensive knowledge of office practices and procedures.
- Ability to be flexible, work independently and have high accountability for a large volume of work.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management and general administration.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and make independent decisions.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Exhibits and supports a positive attitude and encourages a positive attitude in co-workers.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to use advanced techniques in word processing, spreadsheet, database and presentation software, preferably Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access and PowerPoint).
- Experience in using computerized accounting systems e.g., PeopleSoft Financials, and using Internet Explorer is highly desirable.
- Ability to show initiative and to demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality and discretion and problem-solving strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates an understanding and consideration of the differing needs and concerns of individuals with varying identities, cultures and backgrounds.
- Committed to fostering a workplace culture of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value.
Notice of Non-Discrimination, Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
The University of Delaware does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, religion, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in its employment, educational programs and activities, admissions policies, and scholarship and loan programs as required by Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and other applicable statutes and University policies. The University of Delaware also prohibits unlawful harassment including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend