Lab Coordinator II, Delaware Innovation Space (DISI)
Job no: 496014
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
Pay Grade: 30E
Context of the Job:
Delaware Innovation Space (DISI) is an established non-profit entrepreneurial support organization for scientific start-ups that was enabled through collaboration and support from the University of Delaware, the State of Delaware and DuPont. DISI is seeking a Manager of Laboratory Operations committed to superior interactions, service, and follow-up with the organizations' diverse external and internal stakeholder groups.
Under the general direction of DISI’s Vice President for Science & Technology, the Laboratory Coordinator II manages the shared laboratory facilities in support of tenant research as well as providing overall support to building and laboratory operations. Key responsibilities include day-to-day operation, calibration and maintenance, facilities upgrade and maintenance, training, safety, and stakeholder communication.
The Laboratory Coordinator will be seconded from the University of Delaware to the Delaware Innovation Space and be on the leadership team of the Delaware Innovation Space and will receive day to day guidance from the VP – S&T of DISI and overall strategic guidance from the CEO/President of DISI as well as administratively from MariEileene Keane for UD specific matters.
- Manages a dynamic and complex laboratory operation, with responsibility for the quality and quantity of lab facilities, proper maintenance of laboratory conditions, safety procedures, equipment, instruments and supplies, files and records.
- Provides maintenance and interface with vendors for the repair of equipment used on analysis
- Ensures general stocking levels for lab supplies are adequate.
- Interfaces with facilities for equipment installation.
- Creates training and safety documentation as necessary for the safe and efficient operation of the facilities equipment.
- Oversees general ordering of chemicals and supplies including the disposal of all waste generated by the facility.
- Works as necessary to consult with clients on routine preparation of samples for analysis or testing.
- Trains, supervises and evaluates clients; determines equipment schedules and work assignments and workload dynamics.
- Serves as a resource to clients and staff in area of specialization; works with and advises as necessary.
- Keeps abreast of development in area of expertise and related scientific fields through reading of scientific journals and technical papers; adapts new technology as appropriate to meet changing laboratory needs or improve effectiveness or efficiency.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a science or engineering discipline (prefer chemistry, biochemistry, or chemical engineering background) and four years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Broad experience with setting up diverse analytical lab environments including working with high-pressure gases & cryogens.
- Deep knowledge of analytical, chemical and biological labs and equipment and protocols. Experience with running a Bruker NMR environment highly preferred.
- Experience in laboratory safety systems, protocols, and procedures.
- Willing to work in a multi-structured environment, including daily facilities activities.
- Able to follow detailed laboratory protocols (in English) with excellent attention to detail.
- Flexible team player with great communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written communication and analytical skills.
- Strong affinity for scientists, innovators, and entrepreneurs.
- Ability to use advanced techniques in Microsoft Office applications and a working knowledge of Chemstation & Topspin (or equivalent) is useful.
Ability to support general facility and tenant activities as necessary.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally may be required to lift, push, pull or maneuver moderately heavy objects (up to 40 pounds) with or without assistance during the workday.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend