Research Associate I, Chemistry & Biochemistry
Job no: 494198
Work type: Staff
Categories: Research & Laboratory, Full Time
PAY GRADE: 28N
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
The Mugridge Lab (mugridgelab.org) in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at the University of Delaware is seeking a full-time Research Associate I to join our team. We are a new lab at UD focused on a mechanistic understanding of enzymes that control RNA function and impact human disease. The ideal candidate will have research laboratory experience in protein expression and purification as well as some experience with biochemical or biophysical assay development.
Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator, the Research Associate I will carry out cloning, expression, and purification of proteins and enzymes, help perform biochemical and structural studies to characterize RNA-protein interactions, and contribute to lab maintenance and organization. This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated BS or MS level scientist to help build a new lab, generate data for publication, and take on diverse techniques and roles.
- Carry out molecular cloning, expression, and purification to support protein biochemical and structural studies.
- Work closely with Principal Investigator to help develop and carry out biochemical and biophysical assays to monitor enzyme kinetics and enzyme-substrate interactions.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of lab protocols and organizational frameworks to create efficient lab workflows.
- Help with day-to-day lab functions (e.g. instrument maintenance and reagent preparation).
- Maintain a detailed laboratory notebook.
- Present and discuss experimental findings and plans in meetings with the Principal Investigator and research group.
- Help ensure general lab safety standards.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of job-related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Degree in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, or related field preferred.
- Experience in a biochemical research laboratory.
- Experience with molecular cloning and protein expression and purification methods. Experience with AKTA FPLC is a plus.
- Knowledge of / experience with standard biochemical assays and/or assay development. Experience with enzymology is a plus.
- Knowledge of / experience with quantitative analysis techniques for protein and small molecule samples. Experience with mass spectrometry is a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Enthusiasm to learn new techniques and take on new roles.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
Applications should consist of a one-page cover letter and a CV including publication record, brief descriptions of previous research accomplishments and techniques, and the names and contact information for three references.
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend